Sunday, May 2, 2010

pray.

I don't pray a lot. I should. I know the importance of it, and I'm so quick to tell other people to pray, but I just... don't pray a lot. It's not because I don't want to, it's not because I'm "angry at God" or anything... I just don't feel like my first reaction to things is to pray. SOMETIMES, but not always. Don't get me wrong, I definitely pray, just not nearly as often as I should, and I don't pray for as many things as I should. Only when those things cross my mind. And sometimes not even then! I know some people who pray about EVERYTHING. And that's so amazing to me. I want to be one of those people. I guess sometimes I just feel like God is on his throne, far away from us, watching us and helping us but not wanting to get too involved or not wanting to interfere.I know that's silly, and I know that is totally Biblically incorrect. Here's what I've found with the help of Google.

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him" (1 John 5:14-15).

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." (Philippians 4:6).

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Ephesians 6:18).

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

So there it is. Pray all the time, about everything. Easier said than done, I guess! I think one of the things about prayer is it's generally selfless. You should be praying for your family and friends, for lost ones, for our president, our country, our church body, for our health, our safety. We should be thankful and giving praise. And all that is taking time to think about something or someone other than yourself. It's interesting how everything about Christianity and Christ is it's all selfless, and it's all selfless because it 's all about love. And true love is selfless. Seriously, everything about Christ and the Bible comes down to love. It's mind blowing. I'm going to end this blog and go pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment